Cysts of the Jaw
- Cyst: it's a pathological cavity lined by epithelium & filled with fluid or semi fluid material.
- In the jaw bones & oral tissue there are remnant of epith. come mostly from odontogenic apparatus & most of these remnants are embryonic in origin for this reason the jaw bone are affected by a large numbers of cysts in comparism to other bones in the body.
- The epith. remnants that give rise to these cysts are:
- 1- Reduced enamel epithelium.
- 2- remnants of dental lamina
- 3- epithelial rests of Malassez.
A 3 years male patient came with a large swelling on his face ,he diagnosed of a cystic lesion with the help of an OPG X-ray .Surgery was planned and executed with enucleation of the cystic lesion under GA.